Monday 9 May 2011

9/05/2011 Environment modelling

Since the last post there has been a lot of progression and a lot to update on. Firstly since the last update I have been working on my environment and am pleased to say am in the process of rendering out the full animation. The modelling was made by using the box modelling method. With some of the buildings I used the bevel tool and the extrusion tool to add a more three dimensional look. Within my environment there are two weapon outposts, a look out post, a fusion reactor within the middle of the environment, a power plant, the main structural building with built in lifts to the surface and to within the building and a walk way system to link up the city. There is also a portal system all the way around the city mainly because within my idea the ground is nuclear reactive and is deadly to any human being. The lift within the environment is for supply vehicles and for the army vehicles to use. Also around the entire city is a barrier of tesla coils which are set to defend the city and to stop any form of attack. All of these models have been placed onto the height map ground and therefore looks more realistic. I made the ground by having a basic sketch drawing of what I wanted my environment to look like. I then made this image in photoshop and made the places where I want the raised areas to be lighter and to have the level ground as black. I then placed this photoshop image into 3ds max and this created the basic start for my environment.

After I placed all the models onto my basic height map I then started to texture my environment. I got all my images from either google images or from cg textures. I decided to go for a futuristic theme to go with the style within the game. I therfore decided to start by making the ground a crazy nuclear colour and found an image that suited this idea well.

I simply added this texture by making a material within 3ds max and placing it onto the ground plane.

I then moved onto my main weaponry towers and wanted to have a tiled metal that made the towers look strong. I found a material that suited the part (no picture unfortunately) and I placed this as the main material for the strong pillars that are holding up the buildings and as the main texture for the weaponry towers. How i applied this texture was that I selected the entire building, UV mapped and UV unwrapped my buildings. I then create a multi-sub texture so that within the object I could have various textures and this one texture could be used over all of the environment. I then applied this texutre to the buildings and then scaled the UV unwrapped image until the tiled effect looked decent.

I then moved onto the main structural building where the humans survive. I decided to have a different material then the tiled metal texture and found this image.

I tried this texture over the entire building however it did not look right and I therefore only used this texture on the top part of the building and this look decent. I then put on the top spire of the building a shiny metal text and on the lifts a darker metal texture to make the objects stand out. I then added to the main structure a nice simple metal texture that was slightly shiny and because of the chocolate bar style on the image, the texture distorted however it looked fine.

I then added on the bridge a light blue wave texture to make the bridge stand out and have a more futuristic theme to it.

I then added onto the power plant a dark metal texture which made the power plants seem old and rusty. I believe this texture suited the power plant model very well.

I then added for the fusion reactor the same material as the power plants, mainly because i wanted the fusion reactor to have the same style as the power plant.

Then for the tesla coils around the outside I have a shiny metal texture just to make the model stand out from the floor.

I will get a link up of the environment animation where you can the entire environment with working lighting and texturing.

Within the next few weeks I will create a full working animation of a walk cycle by using reference videos and by looking at youtube videos of current walk cycles created in cryptic AR.

No comments:

Post a Comment